Yoga Journey and Education
Andrea began practicing yoga with her mother at the age of 17 at a local fitness center in her hometown of Libertyville, IL as a means to recover from illness. She immediately fell in love with the practice and knew it would be a life long love for her.
Upon beginning her education at Loyola University Chicago, Andrea also began a work-exchange program at Nature Yoga Sanctuary in Chicago, IL. She continued to practice yoga at Nature Yoga Sanctuary and Yoga Now Chicago and explored many styles of yoga during her years in Chicago including Vinyasa, Tantric Hatha, Kundalini, Anusara and others. Her curiosity led her to frequent different yoga studios throughout Chicago and to enroll in theological courses in Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism.
After graduating from college, Andrea found herself in the city of Milwaukee and continued her practice of yoga focusing mostly on Vinyasa and Hatha Yoga. At this time, she first discovered the importance of holistic care and naturopathic methods for healing under the guidance of a Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist. Managing health holistically has continued to be one of her passions.
Upon moving to Minneapolis in 2014, Andrea felt called to share her passion for yoga and wellness with others by enrolling in the Yoga Center of Minneapolis (now known as the Yoga Center Retreat). In the spring of 2016, Andrea graduated with a 275hr Yoga Teacher Training Certificate. During this time, Andrea was able to study yoga with incredible teachers including Jason Crandell (Vinyasa), Jim Bennitt (Tantric Vinyasa), and Moya McGinn Matthews (Hatha, Vinyasa, Restorative).
From 2019-2020, Andrea deepened her knowledge in Tantra, Hatha Yoga, Ayurveda and Energetics while pursuing Devanadi School of Yoga’s 340hr Advanced Teacher Training Intensive. During this time, Andrea studied the anatomical and energetic implications of asana, pranayama, various meditation and savasana techniques, holistic wellness through ayurveda, theorietical & applied yogic philosophy and much more. She is incredibly grateful to her knowledgeable teachers, Tanya Boigenzahn and Elena Brower, who greatly influence her practice and teaching style.
In mid 2019, Andrea created Breathe & Be Yoga, where you can now find her teaching virtual yoga and fitness weekly on Zoom, hosting private yoga events and groups, and working 1/1 with her clients. She is passionate about teaching yoga that integrates the spiritual, and feels strongly the best way to heal is from within and by connecting to one’s spirit. For this reason, it is her passion to provide sessions that will leave you feeling renewed and challenged, but never depleted.
In her free time, Andrea loves to retreat in nature, practice paddleboard yoga, hike, read and enjoy homecooked meals with family and friends. She also practices with her fellow yoga teachers at Yoga Book Club and with her husband and pup, Cooper, at home. It is her joy to share the practice of yoga with you so you can tap into your higher self and the teacher within you.
Yoga Education, Studies & Certifications:
- 340hr Teacher Training and Intensive, Devanadi School of Yoga and Wellness
- 275hr Yoga Teacher Training, Yoga Center of Minneapolis
- Assisting and Adjusting, Green Lotus Yoga
Additional Courses and Areas of Study:
- Tantra Shakti, Tanya Boigenzahn
- Vinyasa Krama, Tanya Boigenzahn
- Four Desires, Tanya Boigenzahn and Chanti Tacoronte-Perez
- Tantra Shakti, Tanya Boigenzahn
- Weaving Together the Material and Spiritual Worlds, Jim Bennitt
- Vinyasa from a Tantric Perspective, Jim Bennitt
- Leverage and Power, Jason Crandell
- Physics of Arm Balances and Inversions, Jason Crandell
- Flow Stronger and Sit Longer, Jason Crandell
- Strength and Acceptance, Jason Crandell
Yoga for Mental and Emotional Health
- Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression, Gary Kraftsow
- Yoga for the Blues, Anxiety and Depression, Dr. Rachel Allen, ph.D
- Yoga for Anxiety and Depression, Moya McGinn Matthews
- Yoga for Emotional Wisdom, Coleen Elwood
- Ayurveda Tools and Dinacharya (Daily Routines), Indu Adora
- Seven Dhatus (Tissues), Indu Adora
- Ayurveda in a Modern World, Jennifer Colletti
- Ayurvedic Cooking and Nutrition, Betsy Nelson
- Yoga for Joints and Inflammation, Jennifer Colletti
- Restorative Yoga & Essential Oils, Jennifer Colletti
- Chair Yoga and Fitness, Jes Rosenberg
- Mudra, Indu Adora
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, Indu Adora
- Marma Points, Indu Adora